GC Logo

Fellowships & Funding

Graduate Center students share their experiences
Student Voices
ev-2.owa  

Amy Vogel

Enhanced Chancellor's Fellowship, Fellowships and Funding, Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences, Testimonials  

Amy Vogel is a fourth-year Ph.D. student in speech-language-hearing sciences and a recipient of the Enhanced Chancellor’s Fellowship. Her research interests in healthy aging and adult neurogenic disorders include understanding the neural mechanisms associated with lexical retrieval, as well as investigating the effect of language use and language learning on brain plasticity. Her current research, for which she received a doctoral student research grant from the CUNY Graduate Center, investigates the effects of intensive word naming on the facilitation of lexical retrieval more generally.

One of the reasons why I chose to attend the Graduate Center is because of the unparalleled support that the university provides to its students. Living in New York City is expensive, and a lot of students have to work in order to attend school. With the Enhanced Chancellor’s Fellowship that I received, I did not have to take on an extra job – my job is to be a productive scholar, both in the lab and in my teaching. During my first year, the fellowship allowed me to conduct research and take classes before becoming a Teaching Fellow. This was a great way for me to get to know the members of my lab and the professors in my department. I was able to focus on my work such that I could present at a leading conference in my area in the first year – and receive funding from the school to travel. Since then, I have had the pleasure of teaching at Hunter College, where the students are thoughtful learners, and the faculty members are encouraging academics. Having the chance to teach has been crucial for working out the kinks in my pedagogy in a safe yet challenging environment. Also, it gives me the experience I need to market myself when I apply for jobs in academia in the near future. Another great aspect of attending the Graduate Center is the ability to take classes at other schools, like Columbia and NYU, for the Graduate Center’s tuition rate. This has allowed me to extend my professional network and gain additional expertise.