GC Logo

Fellowships & Funding

Graduate Center students share their experiences
Student Voices
Dean Sharp - Environmental Science  

Deen Sharp

Environmental Science, Fellowships and Funding, Grad B, Testimonials  

Deen Sharp is a first-year student in the Ph.D. Earth and Environmental Sciences Program, specializing in geography. His research interests focus on the intersection between urban geography, architecture, anthropology, and Middle East studies; his dissertation focuses on small cities in the Arab world. He teaches research methods in international studies at City College of New York, CUNY.

As an international student, being able to access funding and tuition fees is of great concern. The GC Fellowship was a real relief and has given me the financial freedom to concentrate on preparing myself fully for an academic career and getting the most out of my doctoral degree. Instead of being pushed into consultancy work or taking on an even larger teaching load, the GC Fellowship has given me the time needed to tailor the work done in the classroom to my specific research project and pursue academic writing beyond the classroom. Due to the fellowship, I have been able to write multiple articles and book reviews for academic journals, which has greatly assisted me in not only bolstering my CV but also in the intellectual framing of my dissertation.